BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 94-97 7.3

Old 12-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 8500
$ Estimated Saved: 1165 and counting
Default 7.3 gurus step on in....

So as quiet as I've been I'm still around. Last few years went from hurting the truck. To getting a divorce and digging my way out. Started messing with the truck after letting her sit for almost 4 year. I've asked for help on a few fb pages. No one seems to have an answer.

So for those that dont know. The truck went swimming. After all was said and done. Shes back running but #5 and 7 smoke. Unplug them and it instantly stops. One or the other plugged it smokes. White smoke. Checked compression. 5 was about 30 low.... anyway. New injectors. Still smoke. Pulled the injectors. Had them flow checked. Alls good. Still smokes

Then a few weeks ago she was running good. Smoke was minimal. Did some work. Came back to the truck and she was real hard starting. Puffed a big black ball of smoke and my CEL came on. She was running but had zero power. Egts were at 100. Limped her home. Looked around. Fired her back up. No cel. Power was back? Drive her about 1 mile and same deal. Cel. No power. No egts. Any thoughts? I'm about to the point of pulling and replacing the motor/wire harness/turbo/ hell the front bumper if it would just make her run right

Also tried to read codes but being a 95 my obd2 isnt tapped into my ecu so that's a nogo
Old 12-24-2019, 03:42 AM
Mr. Big Time Operator

$ Estimated Saved: -$4,966
MacGyver Rating: .4
Post hopefully a lil' help

Vandy -

First off let me claim ignorance because I was only around the 7.3l as my shade-tree father had one and he could change the oil/grease it and not much else.

However the engine is still an engine. Gotta keep things simple stupid, the saying helps me way too often.

You said "The truck went swimming. After all was said and done. Shes back running but #5 and 7 smoke. Unplug them and it instantly stops. One or the other plugged it smokes. White smoke. Checked compression. 5 was about 30 low." An engine (gas) needs four things 1) compression 2) timing 3) fuel and an 4) ignition source. Diesels don't need 4) ignition because of timing and cylinder pressure. The issue of fuel is mitigated because you have new new injectors that were flow tested and therefore moot. That leaves compression. The motor got wet. Did water enter the intake? What caused the motor to die? How was it running prior to stopping? How many miles on the motor? What were the pressure numbers for each cylinder? What should they be? Did you dump the oil before you ran the motor? How long did it sit before the fluids were dumped? What did the oil look like? What happened prior to four years of sitting, anything?

The above paragraph is just to show my thinking. As for mechanical degrees and all of that, motorcycles are were my tiny knowledge lies and that was all before married life with kids and I'm a stay-at-home father, a decade ago. Take my diesel advice with a grain of salt.

If I had to guess before I see the cylinder pressures, I would guess you need rings. That would be worse case scenario and I'm just going off my limited 7.3l diesel knowledge, from lacking diesel knowledge and no answers to the above questions. Could be just a wiring issue because water and electricity don't work well together.

Just m two cents.

KD79

PS - Have a Merry Christmas.

A large part of me wants to run my F250 with a twin-turbo setup; but can I justify the cost while not pulling the cab?

Of course I say "Yes I can, oh yes I can" yet my wife will say

Last edited by kneedragger79; 12-24-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-24-2019, 09:47 AM
Gettin Greasy

So long story short i got into some deep water in a neighborhood durring a storm. Water cane over the hood and sucked down the intake. Truck was at an idle roll when she shut off

Motor has 318k. Ran great prior. And honestly runs great now less the smoke. Never had an issue with it. I dont recall the compression numbers off hand but 7 were right in where they should be. #5 was 30 psi low. And I'd get it if only #5 was smoking. But that's not the case.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:04 AM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 7

Hey Vandy. Good to see you are still around and that most of your troubles are hopefully behind you.

Can you swap injectors around to see if the smoking problem follows them? At least it would tell you if the cylinder or the injector is the issue.

Please keep us posted.

Rob
Old 12-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmakerRob View Post
Hey Vandy. Good to see you are still around and that most of your troubles are hopefully behind you.

Can you swap injectors around to see if the smoking problem follows them? At least it would tell you if the cylinder or the injector is the issue.

Please keep us posted.

Rob
I thought about doing that but with new injectors then pulling them having them flow checked and reinstalled I figure they are good
Even thought about the harnesses. Checked them. They checked good. Then swapped them to see if they followed. Checked continuity in the main harness. suspected they may both be firing instead of one at a time. I'm really at a loss with this

Yea still around. Lurking in the shadows lol
Old 01-06-2020, 04:11 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Can you find an IDM to borrow to try? They do not like water. Where they are located on Drivers side fender, hood hinge area they get wet. the case has a seal that can fail. Had it happen to one I owned. Fine one day, crappy the next, fine the next day.