BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 04-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $20,000 at $4/gallon

I put WVO in the tank and now it only pushes about 18 psi. The pre screen is clean. I've messed with the pressure regulator. Clay sold me the new style pump motor, so I'm hoping that allows the pressure to build up! I'm also concerned that the fuel pick up tube might be sucking air. I'll look into that too.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostroker View Post
I'm also concerned that the fuel pick up tube might be sucking air. I'll look into that too.
Good call. Check all connections for this.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $20,000 at $4/gallon
Smile

It's ALIVE! Finally got the kit to work. Feels so good to finally get up and running on WVO!

I replaced the pump with a rebuilt pump with a new Scorpion 2 motor. Still no green light. Checked pressure again and noticed no matter what I did to the Pressure Regulator, the pressure didn't change with the truck off and warmed up, key on and switched to "manual on" after the stock pump timed out. It did push about 35 PSI, where the old pump only got up to 15 or so.

I bought a new Pressure Regulator a while ago, and decided to replace it and see what happens. I noticed immediately a piece of an O Ring up where it shouldn't be when I removed it from the V3. Replaced the Regulator and bam! High Pressure!

So the kit is working now, but it has been shutting off intermittently during times when it's idling or loosing temp. It also takes a LONG time for the truck to heat up and the green light to turn on. Twice as long as it takes my other truck. The stock temp gauge on the dash doesn't get as hot as my other truck.

Here's my troubleshooting and specs for what I have going on: I have a 203 degree thermostat that I am going to install soon (flush coolant and install-since there's still some diesel from the injector cup issue that I still need to take care of). I replaced the Temp Switch with a new 140*. I bought the copper coolant filter wrap and Bosch aux coolant pump from SkySkiJason, and wrapped it with thick pipe insulation. I have a hose clamp on the hot coolant going into the heater core to redirect more heat to the V3. Is there anything else I can do to make the truck run hotter?

I'm also wondering if a drop in temperature will cause the green light to shut off? I'm assuming it does, but I guess I don't know that for sure!

Thanks everyone for the time and sage advice through this process! I have a huge weight off of my shoulders getting this truck running on WVO!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Sounds like a simple T stat failure. Change that ASAP. And yes, temp drops will cause it to shut the system off if you have a bad T stat.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Good work!!!

Yep, these t-stats tend to fail 'open'. Let us know what happens when you put that 203* 'stat in!!

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.