BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 03-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Big Sky Country

Miles on Grease: 65,500
MacGyver Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biostroker View Post
Can you post a picture? Curious how you wired it up! Thanks!
It'll be a few days as I'm out of town. All you need to do is find out what pin powers which of the two LED's. On the V4 the white wire is actually a switched ground.

Last edited by N2GN2; 03-30-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Big Sky Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Thats odd, he musta had a set of old ones. I have a set I can send you but I'll need to swap for yours so I'm not left with a hole in my dash.
Carling also makes switch blanks.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $20,000 at $4/gallon

Are you not running WVO anymore?

Are the LED switches the ones that have lights on both sides of the switch? One is covered by the black portion of the switch opposite the green light.

If you want to send me yours, I'll send you mine! Do you care if they are working or not if you're not running veggie? Thanks Clay.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Big Sky Country

Old 03-30-2016, 07:29 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Are you not running WVO anymore?

Are the LED switches the ones that have lights on both sides of the switch? One is covered by the black portion of the switch opposite the green light.

If you want to send me yours, I'll send you mine! Do you care if they are working or not if you're not running veggie? Thanks Clay.
I am getting out of vegi. My dually is already back to stock and my v3 was sent to NC last month. I can send them if you'll text me a shipping address.

Last edited by Clay; 03-31-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Senior Vegistroker

N2GN2-nice switches! Looks good!

Thanks Clay-I texted you my info. I'm really hoping to get this truck running on WVO soon, it's been a frustrating experience and I wish I had just bought a new kit at this point!

What are your reasons for ditching the WVO? Just curious, you've been one of the main guys on here forever, and didn't expect that you'd quit the WVO life!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
N
What are your reasons for ditching the WVO? Just curious, you've been one of the main guys on here forever, and didn't expect that you'd quit the WVO life!
All good things must come to an end I guess. Nah, I'm going through some life changes and will be moving closer to work/parents, etc. Currently I drive 30 miles 1 way to work, when I move I suspect I'll be more like 10-15 miles out and that to me isnt worth the hassle. Also I'm done cleaning up wvo messes and I'll likely be in a neighborhood with only a 3 car garage to use for storage, mechanicing, etc and I dont want to use up space for filtering and storage. Lotsa $300,000 houses in this neighborhood where I've been looking and I dont expect the neighbors would be too happy if I washed a large spill off in the gutter. lol
Old 04-01-2016, 01:00 AM
Senior Vegistroker

Gotcha. Thanks for sticking around here and helping people out! What a guy!

I also drive about 60 miles a day getting to and from work. This truck has been costing my fiancÚ and I a lot to drive on diesel (even though diesel is cheap right now), and as I mentioned before I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out what is wrong with the used V3 kit I bought. At this point I'm thinking it's a good idea to bite the bullet and upgrade to the SSB. I have a gut feeling that it's something with the electronics/timer card that's f'd. Sometimes the red LEDS on the timer card go on, sometimes they don't. The switch getting hot to the touch doesn't sound right to me either. The switch on my old truck never gets hot, and I'm pretty sure it's not the new LED style.

If I upgrade to the SSB, I'm assuming troubleshooting will become much easier, correct? Any further thoughts?
Old 04-01-2016, 04:48 AM
Senior Vegistroker

I was reading through some old posts and saw something that jumped out at me-grounding issues. I have 2 ground wires from the main wiring harness at the manifold both grounded to the stud on the V3. I thought I had read somewhere else that this was a good ground point. The post I was just reading stated the post also needed to be grounded to the frame. I have not done that, both ground wires are just bolted to the stud, but no ground wire from the stud to the frame.

Could this cause the issues I'm having? I'll ground the stud to the truck frame tomorrow. If that's what's causing my issues I'm going to feel pretty stupid. Can anybody remember what the two ground wires from the harness actually ground?

Last edited by biostroker; 04-01-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. Thanks for sticking around here and helping people out! What a guy!

I also drive about 60 miles a day getting to and from work. This truck has been costing my fiancÚ and I a lot to drive on diesel (even though diesel is cheap right now), and as I mentioned before I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out what is wrong with the used V3 kit I bought. At this point I'm thinking it's a good idea to bite the bullet and upgrade to the SSB. I have a gut feeling that it's something with the electronics/timer card that's f'd. Sometimes the red LEDS on the timer card go on, sometimes they don't. The switch getting hot to the touch doesn't sound right to me either. The switch on my old truck never gets hot, and I'm pretty sure it's not the new LED style.

If I upgrade to the SSB, I'm assuming troubleshooting will become much easier, correct? Any further thoughts?
So you dont need new switches yet? I havent mailed them yet so let me know.
Quote:
I was reading through some old posts and saw something that jumped out at me-grounding issues. I have 2 ground wires from the main wiring harness at the manifold both grounded to the stud on the V3. I thought I had read somewhere else that this was a good ground point. The post I was just reading stated the post also needed to be grounded to the frame. I have not done that, both ground wires are just bolted to the stud, but no ground wire from the stud to the frame.

Could this cause the issues I'm having? I'll ground the stud to the truck frame tomorrow. If that's what's causing my issues I'm going to feel pretty stupid. Can anybody remember what the two ground wires from the harness actually ground?
Definately ground the manifold to the frame. Im no electronics guru so I cant say exactly what those grounds go to without looking that up but do it and report back. Polich a nice clean spot and use a self drilling screw to the frame next to the v3.