BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Trip Planner

Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10
Default CA to CO

Thinking about taking a trip to Colorado the day after Christmas. About a 1 week trip. We are looking at places to move to when I'm done with school, and want to visit them in the winter and again in the summer so we can see the seasons. The weather around canon city looked alright, so that is our plan so far. I want to be outside a smaller city, nothing big at all. If anyone has any suggestions for places to live I'm all ears. We were looking at CO, UT, ID mostly but are open. We want weather that isn't in the teens for an entire season, nor above 100 too much. We wil be buying property and building a home when we go. Here is the map to canon city, route 1 and 3 would be my to and from, either one could go first. This is all subject to adjustment. I'll also be much obliged to buy oil along the way so I don't have to bring as much, and meeting a member or 3 would be nice as well.

2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Braaap Braaap

Miles on Grease: 100k
$ Estimated Saved: 10k
MacGyver Rating: 4.20

If you are in Denver by the 27th or 28th, you can cruise through for some oil (CF'd) and a beer, for sure. I leave on the 29th through the 1st, but will be around from the 2nd on.

It is going to be really tough to decide between CO, UT and ID. Great idea to check them out in winter/summer as they are different animals.

Since I don't know your background, I'll give you my method for the mountains in the winter. Obviously, snowstorms are going to be a variable to deal with (check the weather and know), good tires or chains or both, coat/hat/gloves, a blanket, etc are a must when driving through these mountains as they will close the pass at any given time for avalanche blasting or danger. I have been stuck in my truck, with only my truck, for the night. I was glad I was prepared. Breathtaking drive from Glenwood springs east, this is one of the most expensive stretches of highway to construct in its time with the most minimal impact to the surroundings. Civil engineering at its finest.

Route 3 may not be passable depending on the snow conditions etc. If a storm blows through, they measure in feet down there and close passes for days. It is sketchy driving even for the prepared. But absolutely beautiful in that region and worth the effort. Wolf creek pass is open one minute and closed the next, with zero warning. Ouray, Telluride, Durango, unbelievable areas. Too many things to tell you to do in this area.

Route 2 I would make a stop at Ojo Caliente outside of Sante Fe, its one of the oldest mineral hot springs in the country and worth checking out if its open. This route isn't the prettiest though, I would go route 3 if weather allows.

Hope we can catch up. Greasy side down,
Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 80k
MacGyver Rating: 9

That will be a great drive. I am a big fan of Durango, CO and I could probably set you up with my buddies Chinese restaurant there.

Looks like I leave town on the 27th, but I hope you can swing by Denver.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10

Thanks guys!

I'll be prepared for sure. I'm pullin my 30' toy hauler loaded down with supplies. I'll want to avoid anything horrible since I'm pullin that, but I'll be prepared for closures. My wife and daughter will be on the trip, so not lookin to push it through bad areas. Doing some other research the areas of grand junction, steam boat springs, to Denver sound good as well. The route will probably be adjusted to take 70 in toward denver to see all the surrounding, play around north of that, then head south through caņon city and over toward Durango. Like I said, we want to be out of the city on acreage, but I'll be an RN, so I'll need a hospital within an hour preferably to work at. (That's another factor on the move is where I can get hired at)

I'll post on this thread as we hit different areas of the trip for progress. Thanks again and I hope I get the pleasure of meeting both of you.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB

Last edited by All American; 12-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.