BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > CHEW THE FAT > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
John Barraco

Default People Getting Arrested for Greasy Theft

Recently in Southwest Florida, a few people have been arrested for stealing oil from Griffin containers at night. Griffin is apparently prosecuting them. I just wanted to know what the general consensus is on taking oil out of dumpsters. I don't have any containers at any restaurants as I have been moving around the country lately and rely on asking managers politely before sucking out any vegi oil. I'm hoping this approach is straightforward and honest enough that in the event that a collection truck arrived while I was removing oil nobody would try to have me arrested.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

That oil does not belong to the renderer unless they have paid for it. Usually they have not untill after they pick it up. These prosecutions are nothing new and in the past none of them have stuck... That I am aware of.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

I believe if the wvo containers belong to the Renderer, any oil inside is their property.

Most have signed contracts with restaurants that will weigh against you if the renderer files charges. Basically you're taking money from them.

Any attorneys out there?

Last edited by Hawaiian Diesel; 12-01-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 PM
John Barraco

I'll be an attorney in about 3.5 years! I have read over Griffin's contract many times and it is stated that they retain the rights to any renderable waste oil. I think they intend for this clause to appear all encompassing but it doesn't seem to be very enforceable as you can see from the cases Clay is referring to, where attorney Jon Jaworski seems to be really successful in getting cases thrown out. I don't doubt that these large rendering companies would fail when it comes to successfully filing suit, I'm more concerned with the time, effort, and attention that would be brought upon myself and wvo in general if they tried to file a suit. I guess I'm asking if anyone has ever had any past run-in's with a rendering company while pumping oil out of a dumpster and how it turned out.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Me MacGyver!

Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

I am not a fan of taking the grease out of the dumpsters. Not even worth this hassle if it came to a disagreement like this. Most of the places around here are nice enough to put it back in the cubies. I am building a collection stand for when I find someone stubborn enough to tell me they wont put it in the cubies. Hasn't happened yet.
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Where no money changes hands and where restraunt pays renderer 'ownership' of the oil is vague. In all cases that Im aware of - the property owner is the owner, regardless of who owns the container.

Apparently some renderers are now paying in advance, so they have more claim to the oil.

Never take oil without permission! Technically, any representative of owner can give you permission, but ya might spend more on yer defense if dishwasher saif OK...

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
I am not a fan of taking the grease out of the dumpsters. Not even worth this hassle if it came to a disagreement like this. Most of the places around here are nice enough to put it back in the cubies. I am building a collection stand for when I find someone stubborn enough to tell me they wont put it in the cubies. Hasn't happened yet.
What does this have to do with the price of twinkies in Austrailia? oke
Old 12-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Vegistroker

I've owned restaurants for the last 10 years. In all this time I have never seen let alone signed a "contract" for grease removal. They pick it up for free, end of story.

My particular rendering company has me on a three state route. They come by about once a month and all they ask is that I maintain access to the barrels. I can't even tell you what color the truck is.

I realize that every region is unique and different restaurants and companies have different policies....still, I would be shocked if any restaurant ANYWHERE paid for grease removal. I'd also be surprised if any restaurant got paid very much - certainly not enough money to make it worth even a minute of time.

All the restauranteurs I know simply don't care who takes the oil. Are you really gonna interrupt me during the lunch rush to ask if you can take my waste oil? If a rendering company wanted to waste my time or one of my employee's time trying to prosecute a "grease thief" I'd tell them to beat it. Griffin must have piles of money if they want to pursue that - either that or Florida grease rendering is mafia controlled.

Perhaps its best to stay away from the chains and concentrate on smaller mom and pop shops.

Still - Its stupid to be skulking around the back of my (or any) restaurant at night. If I'm walking out with my bank bag and I see you hiding by the dumpsters then you're gonna get a hard look down the short barrel. So don't take oil at night. Don't leave a mess. Put the damn lid back on the barrel. And don't take the opportunity to dump your household trash in my commercial dumpsters! (biggest problem)
Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Me MacGyver!

Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I've owned restaurants for the last 10 years. In all this time I have never seen let alone signed a "contract" for grease removal. They pick it up for free, end of story.

My particular rendering company has me on a three state route. They come by about once a month and all they ask is that I maintain access to the barrels. I can't even tell you what color the truck is.

I realize that every region is unique and different restaurants and companies have different policies....still, I would be shocked if any restaurant ANYWHERE paid for grease removal. I'd also be surprised if any restaurant got paid very much - certainly not enough money to make it worth even a minute of time.

All the restauranteurs I know simply don't care who takes the oil. Are you really gonna interrupt me during the lunch rush to ask if you can take my waste oil? If a rendering company wanted to waste my time or one of my employee's time trying to prosecute a "grease thief" I'd tell them to beat it. Griffin must have piles of money if they want to pursue that - either that or Florida grease rendering is mafia controlled.

Perhaps its best to stay away from the chains and concentrate on smaller mom and pop shops.

Still - Its stupid to be skulking around the back of my (or any) restaurant at night. If I'm walking out with my bank bag and I see you hiding by the dumpsters then you're gonna get a hard look down the short barrel. So don't take oil at night. Don't leave a mess. Put the damn lid back on the barrel. And don't take the opportunity to dump your household trash in my commercial dumpsters! (biggest problem)
The last place I lived, which is only about 1 hr west of here, was paid $.50 per gallon for their USED oil by the rendering company. I couldn't get it anywhere without paying more.
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Restaurants pay .50 per gallon to renderers here. I get 12 to 14 cubies a week from one and they are extremely happy they don't have that expense anymore. I also have a mom and pop operation that I pick up 12 a month that was also paying a renderer.

This will change as Pacific Bio Diesel is slated to start operations on this island. I understand they will pick up the oil for free, but are very picky on the quality of used oil.
I just hope it doesn't affect my operation!