BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 03-07 6.0

Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbarrac View Post
I pulled the pump off again and also my pressure gauge (installed where the schrader valve used to be). I attached a hose to the 1/4 inch NPT fitting where the pressure gauge used to be and blew into it thinking that it ought to be free flowing back to the pump inlet/outlet location on the manifold. There was absolutely no flow. Then I took the fuel output line off and attached a hose and blew into it. I got flow out of the schrader valve orifice but no flow again out of the pump inlet/outlet orifice. Is there a check valve preventing the airflow throught the manifold or is there a complete blockage in the manifold somewhere? Does anyone know where I might find a flow diagram of the manifold?
There is no flow diagram that would show you these details.
There is a check valve in there and I believe it likely is between these 2 locations you are talking about.
I have the V3 schematic and i'll try to think to look this up tonight.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
John Barraco

OK, so now I took the gears out of the pump, put it back on the manifold and attached a hose to the inlet on the manifold. There should be a free flow through the manifold to the outlet of the manifold correct? The flow is currently completely obstructed.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
OK, so now I took the gears out of the pump, put it back on the manifold and attached a hose to the inlet on the manifold. There should be a free flow through the manifold to the outlet of the manifold correct? The flow is currently completely obstructed.
yes, there should be free flow to the outlet. This is getting more strange by the minute. I can't imagine what might have gotten in there and plugged an outlet past the filter?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM

do you have free flow before the filter? you would have to remove the filter to check this.
Might be time to pull all the plugs out and inspect for an obstruction inside.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
John Barraco

I took the filter off and there is free flow before the filter.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I took the filter off and there is free flow before the filter.
But not after the filter?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM
John Barraco

I hesitantly took the hose off of the outlet side of the manifold and it also has free flow. I think the only possibilities left are the o-ring or the gears no longer meshing to create sufficient pressure. I called BFT today and they will only sell the o-ring in a $90 kit. I feel like I'm dealing with the Ford Service department. Its sad to see that happen to such an honest start-up like DFA.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Here is the flow diagram for the V3

Last edited by AzDave; 09-30-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 4000
$ Estimated Saved: 3000
MacGyver Rating: 6

Quote:
I haven't run my truck on WVO for a few weeks (just been giving it some time to drink a little diesel) and am now having pressure troubles. I pulled out my tank last week and gave my bed a good cleaning. I filled my tank last night with good oil and put on a fresh donaldson and allowed the kit to run on auto this morning- no green light. I previously attached a permanent pressure gauge where the schrader valve used to be so I am able to read pressures accurately. On diesel, the gauge reads 50 psi, I purged it to zero and turned it on manual and got 30 psi. I checked the pre-screen, it was perfectly clean, then i pulled off the pump. It had a small piece of rubber (about half the size of a tic tac) sitting above the gear. I cleaned the gears and poured some fresh canola on them and reinstalled the pump. Now I have only 10 psi. Somebody help!
It sounds like something plugged in the manifold...take off the outlet line and see what kind of flow you get...blow air back through the manifold until u hear it bubbling in the tank...if nothing improves then it sounds like a pump issue....also check for a crimped supply line,maybe when u took out the tank and reinstalled it u crimped it...just a thought
Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 105,000
$ Estimated Saved: $10,000
MacGyver Rating: 1

There is nothing "dishonest" about selling parts in kits and not down to individual $2 "O" rings (these aren't just any "O" rings, they're Viton rings that aren't available everywhere). As a guy who is an expert in working capital management and inventory control systems, I can tell you that a small business MUST make decisions about selling packages and product definitions. The cost of maintaining sales/inventory management/shipping/billing/tracking/packaging etc., etc. decisions down to every individual $1 part is just too high.

Jay has apparently decided to package together a number of relatively small parts into a single "maintenance" pack and sell it only as an assemblage of parts. It is inappropriate to characterize that business decision as not "honest."

And does it really have to be pointed out where DFA's business practices led? Everyone should WANT BFT to make good business decisions and still be around to serve its customers for many years. Suggesting anything else is very short-sighted.
110,000 miles and counting

Last edited by Pogo1616; 04-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.