BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Filtration

Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Default My Centrifuge Biuld

Okay I took this directly from another writeup I had on another forum...

Heres a few pics of my CF as it slowely comes together.
This will hold the upper barrell

The oil will be pumped from the lower barrel to the top barrel where it will gravity feed into the heater pipe, out of the heater pipe at a rate set by the gate valve on the outlet of that pipe and into the CF. Not shown is a thermometer that screws into the end of the pipe so i can set my flow rate based on the temp. I suspect the oil will heat fast enough to run about a quart per minutes flow. The oil then exits the CF into the PVC pipe and can be directed either to the tote with the left valve or to the lower barrel if i want to run the oil a second time. Also not show will be a drain tube from the pot for the dirty oil to drain into a bucket when the CF is turned off so any water in there will be discarded through this drain.

The long pipe overhead into the upper barrel is a vent that leads back to the lower barrel in case I overflow the top barrell...oh who am i kidding, it will happen eventually...lol
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM

The CF lid, my favorite part. We machined this from 2 pieces of plexiglass, superglued them together and the bottom piece forms the lip inside the pot with a small rubber hose siliconed in the lip to form a nice snug seal when the lid is on. We drilled and tapped a 3/4" hole in the center to put a nylon barb in for the hose to connect to. Then a piece of SS tube was inserted into the barb and bent to drip the oil off to the side of the CF bowl. And of course the knob handles...2 were needed because the lid fits that tight. We used silicone hose to attach to the lid because its very soft even when cold and it will withstand the heat as well.

Heres some of the outer pot, you can see the stand pipe around the shaft, its PVC with JB weld and the drains are brass barb and JB weld. The inner bowl was a dog feed dish that we cut the bottom off of and then cut the top off to get the desired height.

Last edited by Clay; 12-04-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Heres an old video, I no longer have the PVC on the top side so I need to take a new video. I added a heat control to is and moved the temp gauge to a different location in the piping but the rest is basically the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwYxM...=1&safe=active

Last edited by Clay; 09-14-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 AM
John Barraco

Clay, with all the recent talk of feed cones I was wondering if you think they are necessary. With your plexi-glass cover you ought to be able to see if there is any oil making its way to the clean oil side of the CF via turbulence from the spinning of the CF.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbarrac View Post
Clay, with all the recent talk of feed cones I was wondering if you think they are necessary. With your plexi-glass cover you ought to be able to see if there is any oil making its way to the clean oil side of the CF via turbulence from the spinning of the CF.
My feed line goes all the way to .25" from the bowl bottom to eliminate splash so yes, something is needed. Does the cone work? No idea but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. My feed tube was next to free.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Gettin Greasy

Hey Clay I am noticing that your black pipe is hanging level. I assume that your heater is in there. Is it possible for it to run dry and burn out the element? Just wondering if hanging this at an angle so the element is always submersed in oil would be a good idea? I have run mine dry for about 10 min. and it did not burn out however I had to take it apart to scrape the burnt vo off from the element. ( it is always easy to find fault with others equipment ) I wish mine looked as good as yours.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGREASER View Post
Hey Clay I am noticing that your black pipe is hanging level. I assume that your heater is in there. Is it possible for it to run dry and burn out the element? Just wondering if hanging this at an angle so the element is always submersed in oil would be a good idea? I have run mine dry for about 10 min. and it did not burn out however I had to take it apart to scrape the burnt vo off from the element. ( it is always easy to find fault with others equipment ) I wish mine looked as good as yours.
yes, it is always holding oil the way its setup. The inlet is elevated above the pipe (top barrel) and the outlet isexiting and going up about 2 inches. I need to take some new pics...i have made a few modifications. I no longer have the PVC on the outlet of the heater pipe (it was just too hot for PVC and the glued joints all failed). Having the element in the oil constantly makes me fel safer. I have a thermostat that will turn the heater off should it get too hot and this would not work if the pipe were to run dry.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Gettin Greasy

Once I saw that hole on the end of the pipe I couldn't see anything else.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGREASER View Post
Once I saw that hole on the end of the pipe I couldn't see anything else.
Oh, yeah, well that was were I originally had my tepm guage screwed in. I have modified it now though.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:49 PM

This shows my working setup before I revised the PVC outlet on the heater pipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwYxMNinHaA