BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > EMERGENCY FORUM

Old 11-13-2014, 03:45 PM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $4,000
MacGyver Rating: 1-10
Default Road trip sucking down D2

Low pressure keeps cycling while driving. Checked and cleaned the prescreen, changed the filter, made sure the air was out of it. Did everything as normal. Do is getting used and returning to Veg tank since the cycling is so fast. I noticed the last 2 days when I did the shut down process, I was 1/8 lower on D2, and the pressure switch count went up be about 200. I chalked that up to the switch being sticky and needing to be cleaned, but didn't expect it to cause an issue while driving. Any ideas?
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 11-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Sticky is as Sticky does

Miles on Grease: 60k
MacGyver Rating: 6
Default check valve

did you pull CV, see if that tiny spring is sticking open?

2001 Ex 4wd Limited Bone stock (for now) except Eagle Eyes Lamps 102K-odo
Old 11-13-2014, 04:16 PM
VegiRammer

I just pulled the pressure switch and no apparent issues. I bumped it up 1/4 turn, let's see what that does.
2006 Cummins Mega Cab, Laramie, 4x4, MBRP 4" TBE, Tow built 48RE, Cat ran away again, Custom air bag overload in rear, Custom onboard air system, A-pillar and column isspro gauges, 19.5s load range H, Custom Cow bumper and Headache rack by yours truly, VeggieRam V4 SSB
Old 11-13-2014, 04:17 PM
VegiRammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingowen View Post
did you pull CV, see if that tiny spring is sticking open?
I did not. That is what I am figuring is the cause of the shut down issue, but shouldn't cause the low pressure while driving, right?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

What is the ambient temps? Is your oil PH or fatty? Do you have the flex tygon pickup tube in your tank?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:00 PM
VegiRammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
What is the ambient temps? Is your oil PH or fatty? Do you have the flex tygon pickup tube in your tank?
Ambient temp while driving on this run was about 50. No fat all, really nice nice oil. Yes on the tygon line. Almost 2 hours of driving since bumping up the pressure and only had a low pressure once climbing the grapevine and fluttering it to pass. I'm towing 10k worth of trailer too.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:09 PM

Jason text me the other day on a breakthrough he had with similar pressure issues. Although its cold up north and hes burning beef tallow that is solid at 50*. He removed the tygon hose, cut the metal end off and pulled the spring out. Re installed it and measured a 10" drop in vacuum in the line. Pressure issue gone. He was going to post it on here but hasnt yet. 10" of vacuum caused by the restricting spring is significant.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Senior Vegistroker

I am not arguing that it happened but I can't imagine the spring itself causing enough restriction to increase the suction necessary. If I recall it is somewhat larger in diameter than the fuel line itself.
I can see where the spring would contribute to poly buildup as it is very likely carbon steel or maybe even cooling the fuel somewhat.
Was any of that looked at?

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:27 PM

The spring actually necks it down to a 1/4" opening I think he said and the fact that hes burning beef tallow (strange). There was no poly, its a SS spring I believe.
2 people now have omited this spring and fixed there cold thick oil problem. The vacuum gauge doesn't lie so I guess thats proof enough for me. I'll try it for sure, been dealing with this issue every freeking winter for 10 years. Its pretty simple now that I think of it. It's like a volume diverter that we use in drainage for highway project. Ever see the big rip-rap rocks lining a channel for water drain? Its to slow it down and prevent erosion at the bottom. And water will flow slower through a corrugated pipe drain than a smooth wall pipe. Its mathematically a fact. So the spring is just "in the way" of flow, and the thicker the oil, the more restricted the flow becomes.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 PM
VegiRammer

That's interesring, I haven't looked at it but I will pull it anyway. The thing is I still had this issue on the way home after it was working great on my last post. It started getting low pressure again with any load put on it. I upped the pressure switch another 1/4 turn and it got me home. The spring would make sense if it were cold, but we are talking about 70 degrees ambient. Maybe time to pull the whole system and give it all a good cleaning and re tune. Maybe an actual pressure gauge this time.