BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > BFT QUALITY CONTROL > BFT T.S.B (Technical Service Bulletin)

Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Default Clean your tank vent fitting

Last week I started experiencing a pressure drop issue. What I was seeing (and was steadily getting worse over a 2 week period) was a drop of pressure when at idle, cruise speed and with acceleration I could drop the pressure all the way to about 50 (where the diesel pump was taking over).
At a steady cruise (65-70 mph no load) my pressure was sitting about 65 psi and if I was pulling a hill, it would drop below that.
My filter had less than 8k miles on it which was disturbing in itself as I though I might need to address filtration. I had been getting over 20k miles on a filter. So I swapped the filter with a new one, no change...at least that eases my mind about filtration. Checked the prescreen and it had a little polly build up on it but no other grime or dirt. Clean, reinstall, no improvement. So last night I pull the 24" tygon pickup tube in the tank expecting (hoping) to find a clog in the end as it is a metal of some kind and I though maybe Poly had formed there and closed off the opening...it was clean as a whistle. Next I opened the fill cap and try to blow in the vent tube and I cant get any air through it! Pull the fitting and this is what I found.
This fitting has a short length (1") of a brass tube in the end, the end of the tube is sort of crimped but not closed completely but the crimp is holding a steel ball bearing in the end. Above the bearing is a plastic square shaped tube, the ball bearing is obviously there to prevent sloshing fuel from exiting but still let air in or out of the tube. I pulled the tube out with a pair of plyers and took it apart (because I like to tear shit up) and left it out.
The pics show lots of poly build up on this to a point it was completely clogged.

Last edited by Clay; 03-06-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:11 PM

My problem is partially gone but not completely. This morning I see that my pressure at a steady highway cruise is still at 75 but if I hammer the skinny pedal it still falls about 20 -25 psi which I'll address the pump seals next I think and also the inlet to the manifold to inspect for any poly or other clog.
I left this brass tube off and if I have any oil escape from slosh, it will be routed through a tube into a plastic bottle next to the tank so I can see if there is oil escaping.

Last edited by Clay; 03-06-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 36,000

Thanks for the info and pics! It's always the little things that can cause gremlin type problems

~mitch
Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM

And to add to this, this tank has been in use now going on 3 years so that how long this took to occur.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Gettin Greasy

Clay - Ditto on appreciating the post. This is one of those things that you don't think about much in terms of maintenance. You tend to expect it to work OK forever. - Patrick
Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 17,776
$ Estimated Saved: $4863
MacGyver Rating: 7.77

Good catch! Did you figure out what else was causing your pressure issues? I will add that on my annual maintenance list.
2001 F350 7.3L PSD - Crew Cab with 6' bed - 4" lift with 35" Procomp tires and 18" XD Series wheels - RoadArmor Bumper w/12K winch & PIAA spot/fog lights - Spyder CCFL headlights retrofitted with HID kit - V3 saving me money for the next mod