BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > General Powerstroke SVO Tech / How to Articles

Old 05-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 60000 plus
$ Estimated Saved: $$??$$??$$
MacGyver Rating: 8+
Exclamation Problem with my V3

Everything was working great, got in heard the relay starting to switch & nothing happened. Got home check the 15 amp fuse on the board & it was blown, tried 3 more blew them every time??? Turn to manual & I get a green light but the system is not working??? Any ideas?

L.C.
in Alaska
Old 05-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-greaseguy View Post
Everything was working great, got in heard the relay starting to switch & nothing happened. Got home check the 15 amp fuse on the board & it was blown, tried 3 more blew them every time??? Turn to manual & I get a green light but the system is not working??? Any ideas?

L.C.
in Alaska
AK,
Check and see if the 15 amp fuse is the one that serves the pump. I had the same problem blowing the 15 amp fuse with my system. If it is the pump fuse, try loosening the four hold down bolts to the pump and then snugging them up again but not overtightening them. Try a new fuse. If no go, take the pump off and check the gears for debris. Hook power up to the pump while it is off the truck with a new fuse and see if it works (make sure you remove gear from end of pump first)

This corrected my problem for a long time but then the problem resurfaced. I ended up sending the pump back to Jason for inspection/repair. Let us know how you make out. - Patrick
Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 130000
$ Estimated Saved: $13000
MacGyver Rating: 7.0

Hi all from northern VT. I have just finished the install of the V3 - today was the test drive (to work 10 miles away). The 15 amp fuse for the pump keeps blowing. The cards seem to work ok (lights, timers are set to 8 and 51). When I shut the thing off and remove the key, it keeps running for 51 secs. I will try loosening and retightening the pump bolts too... Also, I opened the fuel fill door (for Excursion, that is in rear driver door jamb) and got a big burst of air - does that mean something? I thought the little vent filter would keep things breathing freely... My vehicle is a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 turbo: 30 gal tank underneath, lines wrapped from V3 to tank and fuel line from V3 forward. I am contacting my local installer in Keene, NH too.

Last edited by Danbeck; 05-26-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Young Skywalker

$ Estimated Saved: $14,000
MacGyver Rating: 08

If it was sucking in air your breather doesn't seem to be functioning properly. If you can access the hose just suck on it and blow into it. If you can't get air to move the valve isn't working.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Gettin Greasy

$ Estimated Saved: $20k including boiler use
MacGyver Rating: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to greasyX
Default welcome dan

good to have another new englander on board,lots of good help on here,see condensation issues with fuses,and binding in pump thread as that seems to jar my memory back to poping fuse issue.Also talk with muns or lancasterpa,on that underbody tank issue(I have cargo tank in my 2000 X so its greek to me)..................good luck and keep it............greasy
2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............
Old 05-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Vegistroker

Thanks Jack : the air was blowing out. Oil was also weeping out of the breather vent - from other posts I see it's almost a common issue - I pulled the o-ring off the fuel fill plug to allow the expansion of air out here, instead of out the breather vent. This is off topic for this thread, I know... anyone see any issues with removing this o-ring other than the plug rattling?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Young Skywalker

$ Estimated Saved: $14,000
MacGyver Rating: 08

The air coming out is a by product of heating the fuel and the expanding oil having nowhere to go. My experience with the 55 gallon barrels I use as well as my truck tank is that sometimes if I spin off the cap fast enough I can actually get them to fly off... especially if there is a significant change in temperature. In the winter I see just the opposite... the barrels start to implode, making it harder to get the cap off.

If the plug begins to rattle and it annoys you cut the o-ring into 2 pieces and glue them on the cap. You will still have a seal to hold it tight, but gaps to allow the pressure to escape.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Vegistroker

Thanks for the idea Jack! I took a loooonnng road trip today - 213 miles x 2 - to the nearest DFA installer's home near Worchester, MA. (I didn't hear any rattling of the fuel cap at all, but I would feel better if it felt locked in the hole solidly). Before we left home, I pulled the pump/motor. Couldn't see any wear or score marks at the gear end, and gear moved with my fingertip. Per the DFA installer, I chased the threads on the 4 long bolts (why aren't they stainless?) and gooped them with neverseize (sp?) - also where they contact the alum cap at motor end. Torqued to 10 ft-lbs. Steel bolts and aluminum are bad enough, but they aren't gonna know what hit them when the salt trucks come out! I popped a new fuse in, and away we went. About 5 miles into the trip, the fuse blew. Down at his house, he pulled pump and checked it. Also the prescreen - clear. Checked wiring for power, etc. Put pump with in-line fuse on a battery - no problem. Back in the truck - blew fuse again. Finally tried a 25amp fuse - bingo! He said change to a 20amp when I got home to see if that would work too. So that's one expensive fuse! But it's done - worked all the way home. The last time I tried putting in a bigger fuse - well, let's just say I didn't have to call the fire department...
Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Gettin Greasy

$ Estimated Saved: $20k including boiler use
MacGyver Rating: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to greasyX
Default what about Mr.Lacasse in Keene NH,I thought he was DFA certified

what part of VT are you from?Always glad to see someone from NE on board.Don't forget if you over torque those four bolts the pump will bind thus blowing fuse.If that is your problem the bigger fuse is just holding more juice before blowing(sort of like charging a 5K capasistor and discharging it on the back of someone neck).I had the pump blow fuses,I just retorqued the bolts 8lbs? and put some blue thread lock for some piece of mind on those thread as they SHOULDN'T loosen @spec,but who know the chances under spec....good luck with pump........PS if the fuses are breaking the bank,try the international shop in burlington or the "cat" truck stop off exit 20 in lebanon NH,which ever is closer............greasy
2000 7.3X V3 So much fun,so little time,Support small Oil,burn WVO,Free and greasy down the road I go!!!!!!!!!!completely self sufficient and proud of it. (Wood furnace.....X.......solar pontoon....solarsheat twins this summer.....I don't Know much.......I'm just a hillbilly with too many guns..............
Old 05-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Vegistroker

Dave Lacasse is the one I went to see in Worcester, MA. He said the DFA site has his location wrong right now. I'm about 18 miles north of St. Johnsbury out in the sticks. Dave gave me the torque specs for the bolts - 114 in-lbs. He doesn't use locktite. He swabbed the bolts where they contacted the aluminum with neverseize, like I did the night before. He's never had any loosen up. Is it gonna be summer sometime? Dan