BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > General Powerstroke SVO Tech / How to Articles

Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Vanman

Miles on Grease: 10000
$ Estimated Saved: 5000
MacGyver Rating: 1
Default Cold winter on the way

I want to keep my vegitank warm over night. I will insulate the tank and all the hoses but am unsure what plug in device to use to warm the tank. What do you northerners do?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Arillo View Post
I want to keep my vegitank warm over night. I will insulate the tank and all the hoses but am unsure what plug in device to use to warm the tank. What do you northerners do?
Thats not necessary, the heater in this tank is very large and it only needs to be warm enough to be liquid so it can flow. The manifold and heads heat the oil well enough. Many V3s in northern climates doing just fine with only the in tank heater that it came with.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Vanman

Thanks Clay for the response, should I still get the heat sock for the filter?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks Clay for the response, should I still get the heat sock for the filter?
Jay actually stoped selling these, its a large amp draw with little added heat. He has done a coolant loop around th filter using copper tube and says its much better than the 12v wrap. I'm going to make one for mine as well. Free heat.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Jay actually stoped selling these, its a large amp draw with little added heat. He has done a coolant loop around th filter using copper tube and says its much better than the 12v wrap. I'm going to make one for mine as well. Free heat.
Clay - Could you share how you are going to build that when you get to it? Any concerns about vibration causing chafing between the filter and coil? Haven't been on the BFT site recently, does Jay have units ready to ship? - Patrick
Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancaster,pa View Post
Clay - Could you share how you are going to build that when you get to it? Any concerns about vibration causing chafing between the filter and coil? Haven't been on the BFT site recently, does Jay have units ready to ship? - Patrick
Jay isn't selling them that I know of. Skyski has a pic of his somewhere on here that I saw recently, ill look for it. Basically im going to cut the return coolant line - a 1pic foot section maybe - and use a fitting to go from rubber hose to 3/8" copper tube, coil it 3-5to times and go back to the other rubber end. Haven't considered chafing but I can keep an eye on it.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Vanman

Clay, I purchased a grease car tank because that was the only shape that would fit in my van. It has a double stacked coil around the pickup tube. Will it get the oil hot enough? I was thinking of 6' of pipe heat tape on the fuel line from the tank to the manifold. What do you think?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 30,000
MacGyver Rating: 6

Quote:
Clay, I purchased a grease car tank because that was the only shape that would fit in my van. It has a double stacked coil around the pickup tube. Will it get the oil hot enough? I was thinking of 6' of pipe heat tape on the fuel line from the tank to the manifold. What do you think?
how cold does it get where you are?

that pickup should be fine, worst case scenario, add 10% D2, that will decrease the viscosity. as long as the oil is self leveling, and you have a heated pickup you should be fine.
L99 Black F250 CC LB 4x4 conversion pending...
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
If the tank is inside, you dont really need any tank heater IMO and as far as heat tape, I'm not a fan of adding more apm drawing heat anywhere. If you have a V3 there should be plenty of heat at the manifold and heads to get your oil up to temp.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
If that tank has a COPPER coil in it, contact GC and get an aluminum replacement for it. That copper will give you more problems than its worth. BAD IDEA - even if some people seem to get away with it...

You specifically DO NOT want to heat the oil overnite. In fact, insulating the tank is not really a good idea. Ideally, we want the oil to cool off as fast as possible to mitigate natural degradation (polymerization) of the oil. The V3 will work fine in cold climates, but ya may want to wait a little longer before switchover when it is ridiculously cold out - so the oil in the tank has a chance to become liquid enough to get into the fuel lines, etc.

Its possible one could wrap the end of the V3 filter with the 5/8" heater hose, using zip ties to make a 'coil' for the filter to fit in... I used 3/8" copper and sweated an adapter on the copper that would fit the 5/8" heater hose. Chaffing has not been an issue for me - yet!! I had the wrap off my F350 for quite awhile while using elect. blanket, but it was on there for 70k miles the first time and prolly 30k this time. I looked for chaffing on the copper before I re-installed it and did not see any 'wear'.

I also put a modified 6-pack soft-sided cooler over the filter and wrap in the winter to keep the 80mph frigid air off my filter/wrap.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.