BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > General Powerstroke SVO Tech / How to Articles

Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Mad scientist

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: -45,000
MacGyver Rating: 8.5
Default Pressure Problem Troubleshooting Basics!!

Thinking about starting a whole new section devoted specifically to troubleshooting tips for the V3. However, for now this should work

So in multiple threads I have seen ideas and thoughts thown out about how to troubleshoot pressure issues. And most of those revolve around replacing the filters, which is a good easy start, but not always the problem. Really the easiest way to identify the TYPE of problem is to change the viscosity of the fuel. For example, if you are running WVO, then throw a significant amount of diesel in it to thin out the oil quite a bit. So with that, here is a general rule of thumb:

If your problem becomes worse with diesel(makes less pressure), you have a leak. The thinner, or lower viscosity diesel will bleed off easier, and squeeze between cracks easier. This means Worn pump, sticky or wrong setpoint pressure regulator, bad injectors, internal passage and orifice issues, etc.

If you run diesel, and the problem gets better(makes more pressure) you have a restriction. The thinner fuel will bypass clogs a lot easier. Honestly this is the most common problem. Things to check in this scenario would be Pre-screen, Primary Filter, Pinched line, plugged pick up in the tank, something caught in the line, accumulation of heavy fats on the bottom of the tank.

Again to recap-

If you run diesel in the V3 and pressure goes up, your constipated. Plugged up somewhere

If you run diesel and pressure goes down, you've got the runs. Something is leaking where it shouldn't.

Hope this helps a little. Let me know of more specific topics you would like to see covered.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnut74 View Post

If you run diesel in the V3 and pressure goes up, your constipated. Plugged up somewhere

If you run diesel and pressure goes down, you've got the runs. Something is leaking where it shouldn't.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Vegistroker

Default Pressure Problem

Hard to make a long story short:

Original filter from install with about 15,000 miles. Green light started blinking during a 1800 mile trip about 800 mile in. Change the Donaldson and cleaned the pre-screen. Restarted an no green light at all. Found I had a blown fuse. Changed the fuse and truck V3 continued to run fine for about another 800 miles then green light started blinking again under load then went off completely.

I pumped the veg tank of all veg and put about 10 gallons of diesel into the tank. Didnt' help. Ran the rest of the trip on diesel. Turn the V3 auto on now and then and it would give me a green light for a short period of time here and there but shut off under load. Sometimes it wouldn't come on at all. Did this enough times across the country that it burned nearly the whole 10 gallons of diesel I put in the veg tank.

Now at home I pulled the pressure sensor and blew out, pulled the pressure regulator and blew out, took the pump off and had it checked out at a rebuild shop. They blew out the dust and put new bearings in but said the motor look great and likely didn't even need the bearings. Also disconnected the fuel lines to the tank and blew out. Clean pre-screen again but nothing obvious was there. Also blew out the manifold from the pressure regulator and the pre-screen.

Put it all back together and could only get about 15psi at test port. Turn out the adjust on the pressure reglator and turned in 3 turns and could at least drive down the road a bit before I'd lose green.

Even at idle at 3 and even 4 turns in on the pressure regulator, I will get green at idle but it will only last for maybe 4 five minutes before I lose green.

At 4 turns in I am only making 45-50psi.

What wizards might be out there to help solve my problem.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Me MacGyver!

Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

Still sounds like a pump failing to me, but lets see what everyone else thinks.
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Vegistroker

Default Pressure Problem

I thought that maybe the pump was getting tired too. It under 20,000 miles and just under a year old but thought I'd pull it and have it look at anyway. The guys at the generator rebuild shop said it look fine with brushes having 3/4 wear left. They put new bearings in and blew it out but it bench test fine.

Could it still be the pump?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Me MacGyver!

Do you have the pressure switch relay fix?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Vegistroker

Default relay fix

I do, it came with the system. Would the pressure switch have anything to do with the low psi at the test port?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:47 PM
Me MacGyver!

The yellow wire relay or the blue? It might, I'm not really sure how the pressure switch works myself or more so what actually happens when it fails.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Vegistroker

Default Pressure switch

it turns out i have the original retrofit and not the retrofit retrofit. I messed around with the pressure regulator some more, cleaned it again and blew out the manifold from the regulator back and all the lines. reset the regulator and now it seems to be holding at about 75 to 80 psi but green light still won't stay on.

So it seems I had two issues. One a obstruction or dirt and a bad pressure switch.

Just ordered the switch and maint. kit. We will see what this brings?

thanks