BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > General Powerstroke SVO Tech / How to Articles

Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
A hinged hard top (about half the length of the bed), would probably work okay. Don't know if they even make such a thing though. Just hate to have to remove my cover each time I want to pull a gooseneck.

Hmm...
They do have some that hinge in the center. The problem with the covers I've seen is the latching mechanism up front extending down a little too far. I'm even considering cutting a hole in the top of the toolbox lid. I can get a grommet for any time that I don't have the bed cover on.

If I can't get a folding cover, I'll be getting a solid hinged cover like FastCote.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 130,000 and counting!
$ Estimated Saved: Lost count - a lot!
MacGyver Rating: 8ish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
Yeah, that's a nice cover. It's made by a company called TopUp. They are made to turn the bed of the truck into a camper. They come with vinyl walls and one model even has fold out bunks.

Nice cover, but it's really expensive. Best I've seen (actually the only place I've seen it) is here for $2800.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...pertonneau.htm

That's pretty cool...I don't think I've ever seen those before.

But, for $2800, I think I'd have to pass! That's a lot of cash for a bed cover.
2008 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
2005 F-250 PSD - CC, Lariat, 4X4 - Sold
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
They do have some that hinge in the center. The problem with the covers I've seen is the latching mechanism up front extending down a little too far. I'm even considering cutting a hole in the top of the toolbox lid. I can get a grommet for any time that I don't have the bed cover on.

If I can't get a folding cover, I'll be getting a solid hinged cover like FastCote.
Baker, any chance you got a link to one of those?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Vegistroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Baker, any chance you got a link to one of those?

Thanks!
Yes - if I were getting a hard top, I'd get one of these:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...eau_covers.htm

It won't look as nice as FastCote's, but it will do the job and it's a pretty good price. It's made to come off really quickly and they even have mounting points on the backside so you can hang it on a garage wall when not in use.

This might be the cover I wind up with if I can't get a folding cover that works. The folding is something I want because I like to climb up in the bed and stand up when I'm loading it. I also drive up to Canada sometimes to visit my parents and, sometimes, I would want to carry something tall back that I didn't plan on before I left. I'll just have to learn to work around that stuff.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Gettin Greasy

Thanks Baker, I'll check those out!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 205,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: 25k+

I have a truksport roll up cover (by truxedo)on my 01 Superduty shortbed with the 60gal tank toolbox combo.

This is the only roll up cover that would fit when I bought mine 2 years ago. It has the adjustments at the tail of the bed instead of the front of the bed. I really liked the access brand covers, but the adjustments were at the front of the bed so they hit the toolbox. It only has a 5 year warranty, but it has held up good so far.

Hope this helps some of you guys looking for a cover.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerg View Post
I have a truksport roll up cover (by truxedo)on my 01 Superduty shortbed with the 60gal tank toolbox combo.

This is the only roll up cover that would fit when I bought mine 2 years ago. It has the adjustments at the tail of the bed instead of the front of the bed. I really liked the access brand covers, but the adjustments were at the front of the bed so they hit the toolbox. It only has a 5 year warranty, but it has held up good so far.

Hope this helps some of you guys looking for a cover.
Power, thanks for posting that up, that does help me. Any chance you got pictures of your cover and how it fits around the tank? That would really help to see how it fastens to the front of the bed.

That cover actually looks identical to the Lund cover I had on my Ranger. I need to see how much they want for one of those.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 205,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: 25k+

I will try to get pictures this weekend. I am traveling all week so I do not have access to my truck
Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 AM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerg View Post
I will try to get pictures this weekend. I am traveling all week so I do not have access to my truck
Sounds good man, thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Vegistroker

I've owned a Retrax rolltop bed cover since 2005 and I couldn't give up the security of locking up my tools.

Luckily I stumbled across a tank builder only 15 minutes from my house. They make custom auxilary tanks, veg oil tanks, red fuel tanks, tool box combos, etc.

I showed them my retrax and said that I was sad to see it go. They said why? We can build around that! Two weeks later I took delivery of a custom 42 gallon veg oil tank with locking tool box and it all fits underneath the Retrax without moving it back. RDS couldn't do this and it cost about the same as their toolbox tank combo. Triple baffled, custom pick-up, level sending unit, and heavy duty aluminum too. I saw this thing being built and it is TOUGH! If your interested in purchasing a custom veg oil tank/toolbox combo that fits under a roll top bed cover or folding cover, these guys are happy to build to suit. PM me or send me an email at info AT dfwbiofuels DOT org and I'll forward their contact info to you. Awesome folks. I'll post up as soon as I'm done with my install. I think you'll be impressed.