BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 94-97 7.3

Old 06-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default Prepping for van install

I would like to start getting some parts together for an install on my ambulance. Has anyone done an OBS van conversion? I haven't really worked on a van before. What do i have to look forward to other than training to be a circus contortionist?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150611_210256.jpg (96.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: Over 100K
$ Estimated Saved: Don't keep up with it.
MacGyver Rating: ╥

You can also plan on cursing like a sailor.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:02 AM
I Love Grease!

Miles on Grease: 235k
$ Estimated Saved: $9,000
MacGyver Rating: -3.625

Worst vehicle I have ever worked on..... You absolutely MUST remove stock fuel bowl and all the stupid intake box stuff. Take it all and throw in trash, then the top of the motor is somewhat accessible.
Y2K Excursion 4X4 limited 7.3, 6" lift, 35" Rubbers, Jonathan Tuned, Single Shots, 38R, DI Up-Pipes, CoolingMist Vari-Cool Water/Meth Injection, Aftermarket Intake, 5 Isspro Gauges, Vegistroke V3, 30 Gal Frame Mounted Tank, GOT GREASE?

veggiegarage.com authorized installer
Old 06-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

What they said...... Mentally prepare for

The good news is www.veggiegarage.com has all the parts you need to do the requisite e-fuel conversion!!

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Braaap Braaap

Miles on Grease: 100k
$ Estimated Saved: 10k
MacGyver Rating: 4.20

Heffen is a very good lifelong friend of mine. Both of us are from Lexington and were college roomates for 3 yrs at Purdue. Many many shenanigans ensued back in those days.

2000XJ and SkySki along with AZDave for the parts and custom parts development are the most experienced and will be able to help with the specifics.

I've mentioned Dave's efuel kit and directed him to Vandy's install thread so he could see what he's looking at. Dave's site still says that the efuel conversion is coming soon. I'm hoping he'll chime in and give Heff an idea of cost so he can get his conversion thought process going.

I have a used v3 system that he can have when he gets his oil figured out and fuel bowl delete in place.

What stainless check valve relocation kit and stainless fuel line kit should he get or does that all get "customed" and piled together with the efuel kit from Dave?

Heff, it can't be any harder than keeping your old Triumph TR6 on the road...can it?

So glad to have you sniffing around here, its about TIME! Welcome to best veg crew on the intraweb.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Contact me at dave@veggiegarage.com and I can get you some quotes.I either have a nifty fitting that uses the stock diesel feed lines. This saves pulling the turbo.

But on an OBS Van when you remove the dog house the turbo is staring you in the face. MUCH easier to remove. Once turbo is removed it may be easier to remove stock mechanical diesel pump from the back. Plus you can install my super custom Stainless Steel 3/8th inch tubes on the rear of each head and feed veggie to hot SS Tubes around the turbo.

I feed Diesel to the front of the heads thru SS covered Teflon lines.

Stock Ford Super Duty Bosch fuel pump is used. Not a cheap aftermarket pump. Fuel Lab Adjustable Pressure regulator. Superior fuel filter that retails for $9.00 and is easy to change.

Diesel pump has wiring package with relay and module to power the diesel fuel pump and shut it down after 20 seconds of engine not running with key on just like Super Dutys.

When you contact me thru email I will send photos. I have an OBS as my daily driver so I can send photos of my install as well.

Hope I can help, Dave at Veggiegarage.com

When I had a Matco tool truck in San Rafael Calif one of my customers specialized in Triumph. He had bumper sticker that read "When parts fall off please return to Scotts auto" Made up shop name. I do not remember the name. This was 1980 or so.

Last edited by AzDave; 06-22-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:14 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default A thing or two to do

Thank you all for the information to help me get going. So, this beast is new to me but I felt like it wasn't pushing the power that it should. MtnOilRig suggested getting a scan gauge ii, which I did and is awesome. I'm pretty sure the ICP is bad (727 at idle) and the turbo ate a squirrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150713_185358.jpg (97.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Gettin Greasy

Is there oil in the ICP sensor when you unplug the wire?

What is your IPR Duty Cycle at idle? What is ICP and IPR DC at WOT?

You can get a stock Super Duty ('00-up) compressor wheel for your turbo for about $100. I don't recommend the aftermarket wheels for a stock engine.

Turbo rebuild kit is under $100 as well and takes 30 minutes to rebuild.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default What's Next?

I can't remember the exact numbers but after I programmed the scan gauge I went on a test drive for readings. The ICP was consistent with no signal to the PCM. IPR seemed within the proper range. EBP was a bit low. Boost was 0 - 4 psi max.

I have the turbo off now and getting ready for a rebuild. What constitutes play in the shaft assembly? I can get it to move a hair both front to back and side to side but it's barely perceptible.

Where can I get new pedestal bolts?

Also, I'm considering a fuel pump conversion while its opened up.

I know most of this is not veg related but I'm trying to get there and I really appreciate the help. I'm barely starting to get my diesel legs but I'm determined.

Thanks
heffen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doghouse.jpg (94.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by heffen; 07-21-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Gettin Greasy

No ICP reading is odd. A failed sensor will give erratic readings and can be the reason for no-start. Unplugging the ICP sensor will cause PCM to use default #'s so the engine will run. I forget what PCM reports (to scangauge) when it's unplugged - but I've never seen zero.

0-4psi while cruising is fine, but you should see 14-17psi at WOT. If not, you likely have/had a boost leak somewhere.

There will be slight play in the turbo shaft - it rides on a cushion of oil when in use. In/out play is bad.

I think Bob at www.dieselorings.com sells the pedestal bolts.

Dave's e-fuel kit is about the most economical option available.

We don't mind helping you get ready for veg!! I'd rather see ya spend wisely now, so you don't have to spend twice!!