BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > DODGE CUMMINS / HEAVY DUTY > 3rd Gen Cummins 03-07 Common Rail

Old 12-02-2017, 03:47 PM
VegiRam in SC

Miles on Grease: 75k
$ Estimated Saved: $1500
MacGyver Rating: 7
Default Green goes off after a few miles

I've been fighting something for about 8 months.

'03 Dodge Ram Quad cab long bed dually, installed before 2010.
It's a daily driver only w/some towing. (My only vehicle right now.)
Showing 210k miles w/120k very happy miles on WVO.
After market bulldog frame mounted FP and filter/water separator.

Light comes on like normal after a 3-5 miles. After another 2-3 miles it goes off usually on the interstate when I press the throttle. Sometimes, as I hit traffic or an exit ramp the light will come on (low throttle). If I keep it idle at red lights it will come on but eventually it completely stops.

If I toggle the switch to off for a few minutes, then switch it back on to automatic the light will come on for a few minutes but again, eventually goes off.

Filter changed first when this started - no effect, same filter still installed.
Vent checked, pre-screen cleaned. No effect.
A few months back I replaced the inline check valve with a new unit.
Pressure adjusted past 20psi which I absolutely hate having it that high. (Fuel Pressure gauge mounting inline in engine bay) Lower than 15 and I get no light at all. Maybe my BD is set too high? What is the suggested FP into the motor?
Pulled the pressure regulator, cleaned as best I could and worked it through it's entire range. Drove it til it was definitely warm, stopped in a parking lot and adjusted the regulator until the light came on and back it back off a bit. Stayed on for a mile until I hit a hill. Turned pressure up just a bit and tried again...basically same effect - at some point I hit a hill, press the throttle and the light goes off.
Drove on pure diesel for a month while I tried to figure it out.
I pulled the fuel line coming from the BFT manifold yesterday - plenty of pressure and volume coming out.

A few months back I had to have the tank drained b/c I had WVO in my fuel tank. Evidently I need a new purge valve?

Open to suggestions. Sounds like it's time to spend some money on it - new purge and check valves and what else? I can't find the check valve on the BFT site. Source?
2007 Honda Civic (wife's) (The 1984 CRX 1-owner has been partially resurrected)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:31 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

Possibly an air leaking into the intake side of the v3. Check all hoses and connections before the pump.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

If you haven't installed a new check valve you might want to start with that. I don't necessarily see that you would need a purge valve as you had said the veg is going with your diesel not the other way around. Purge valve is also for purging. . a check valve in your manifold but as long as there's not diesel going to your veg tank it should be fine.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 PM
VegiRam in SC

Miles on Grease: 75k
$ Estimated Saved: $1500
MacGyver Rating: 7

Thanks for the thoughts.

I was sure a new check valve would solve it but that didn't do it a while back. That was one of the first things I tried after I tried to source the little o-rings in the original.
The one I bought was the opposite of the original with the mail and female ends flipped. I had to get both a M-to-M and F-to-F adapters.

I confirmed the vent was working as part of my first checks. I will attempt to pressurize the tank w/the system all attached and see if air is getting out.

Thanks again.
2007 Honda Civic (wife's) (The 1984 CRX 1-owner has been partially resurrected)