BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 AM
vergie2010

Miles on Grease: 225k
$ Estimated Saved: Priceless
MacGyver Rating: -2 to 5
Default Does sytem backfill if you click/turnoff while engine still running

Does sytem backfill if you click/turnoff while engine still running.

In previous posts i was informed that its normal for VO/D2 mix to return to tank while green or possibly if not...if I then turn/click my sytem switch to off will it backfill while im still running or will I still need to turn back on and auto backfill once I turn engine off?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergie2010 View Post
Does sytem backfill if you click/turnoff while engine still running.

In previous posts i was informed that its normal for VO/D2 mix to return to tank while green or possibly if not...if I then turn/click my sytem switch to off will it backfill while im still running or will I still need to turn back on and auto backfill once I turn engine off?
Vergie - If you allow the system to shut down automatically by just turning the key off, it will purge veg from the engine and the V3 and then continue to run for 90 seconds or whatever you have it set at. This will cause the veg left in the heads/injectors to be burned up and be replaced with diesel. If you interrupt that sequence by turning the V3 switch off after you turn the ignition switch off, the engine will stop and you will end up with veg remaining in the engine and/or the V3 (not good). - Patrick

Last edited by lancaster,pa; 12-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 100,000
$ Estimated Saved: $18-20k
MacGyver Rating: 5

Quote:
if I then turn/click my sytem switch to off will it backfill while im still running or will I still need to turn back on and auto backfill once I turn engine off?
It will not purge. All it will do is use what's in the fuel rails while it's still running. If the switch is off, as soon as you turn the truck off, whatever is in your lines and leftover in the rails will stay there. In short, don't let it happen.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

What Drew said. If you manually turn it off, you need to manually hold the purge button for 8 seconds or so. Then it will "backfill" AKA "Purge".
Old 12-12-2012, 05:18 AM
vergie2010

Default Ok, but...

I get that. Im talking when your green, truck running, you turn system off manualy (green now off), truck running. The sytem doesnt back fill at that time either. That switch disingages the veggie system! No need to reply unless I misstated.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
I get that. Im talking when your green, truck running, you turn system off manualy (green now off), truck running. The sytem doesnt back fill at that time either. That switch disingages the veggie system! No need to reply unless I misstated.

Thanks
Vergie - Not exactly sure what you are asking. Does my post (Lancaster, PA) above help any? If you are driving along with a green and you turn the veg system off with the rocker switch, the system will not purge diesel through the V3. If you drive long enough, you will eventually (long time) burn all the veg out of the engine, but if you stop and shut the engine off with the key, you will still have veg in the V3. - Patrick
Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 PM
vergie2010

Default I got....thanks

No, i got it and hit the nail on the head.

Thanks Patrick!

BtW. Gonna post one about filter life span in a minute...you might be able to help there as well.

Trent
Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Nicely well-written article. It was an awesome article to read. Complete rich content and fully informative google.com/