Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > THE SVO COMMUNITY > Oil sources

Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Got BEARS?

Miles on Grease: 140K+
$ Estimated Saved: $35,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itrimtrees View Post
I offered the owner of a local pizza place my tailgate for advertising his business in exchange for his clean WVO and then had a custom sign made per his directions (about $200.00). The sign reads "This Truck Runs On Waste Vegetable Oil Donated By Generoso Pizza" Lunch Specials, Delivery, ect. with the address and phone number. Also, on my website I state that our sales truck runs on WVO and the oil is donated by Generoso Pizza with a link to their website. It is great PR for the restaurant YOU choose. Now you have some bargaing power. Who gets the privilege to be on the back of your truck?

What will you do when the D.O.T reads the sign?

2003 Excursion 7.3 and 2003 & 2004 VW Jetta Tdi's on B100
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

I've wondered the same thing. But greasdltn has a "Powered by Vegetable Oil" sticker on his back window. Wonder if he's ever been stopped?

I guess you could always say that you JUST converted the truck and plan to pay the road tax at the end of the year. IF the state you live in requires that for running bio / wvo.

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Got BEARS?

Miles on Grease: 140K+
$ Estimated Saved: $35,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I've wondered the same thing. But greasdltn has a "Powered by Vegetable Oil" sticker on his back window. Wonder if he's ever been stopped?

I guess you could always say that you JUST converted the truck and plan to pay the road tax at the end of the year. IF the state you live in requires that for running bio / wvo.

All I know is that way too many people know I am running Bio and WVO in my vehicles. For all of us with PSD diesels it is pretty obvious while following us on the road. It makes me nervous. I prefer to stay unmarked and way, way below the radar.....

I know farmers get picked on around hee for running dyed fuel. That can generate a $10K ticket, and realistically, that is what we all are doing (no road tax)

But, here is something to consider.....are the Toyota Prius do gooders paying tax on the electricity they generate? How do you pay road tax for electricity on the electric cars like the Leaf? The alternative fuel community is tangled in a web of gov't BS anyway. I remember a political campaign a couple years ago with much speak of "green energy" and "green jobs". I guess that all sounds good on the campaign trail, but once you reach the White House, it is much less important.

2003 Excursion 7.3 and 2003 & 2004 VW Jetta Tdi's on B100
Old 04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: About 66,000
MacGyver Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
What will you do when the D.O.T reads the sign?
With the savory aroma from my truck they will be to busy looking for a fast food joint to give me a ticket.

Very good questions. I will cross that bridge IF it ever comes up.

I like the Prius comment.

How about ' I am saving the Gov. money by NOT filing my 'Green Energy Carbon Credit Form' for which I actually would end up getting a refund.

Last edited by Itrimtrees; 04-24-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Gettin Greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegginpsd View Post
I know farmers get picked on around hee for running dyed fuel. That can generate a $10K ticket, and realistically, that is what we all are doing (no road tax)
Also, It is a felony and your life will change forever, or so I have been told. There is a farmer here that was running it in his field trucks, which is ok, but as the trucks were on the road from field to field he thought he should license them. Big Mistake. As long as they were unlicensed they were concidered tractors but with license they become trucks. $10,000 fine, felony, they come and dip his tanks every couple months. I do not advertise!!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265

It's definitely a balancing act. Part of me wants to tell folks that I'm somewhat environmentally conscious and put a "Powered by Vegetable Oil" sticker (or similar) on the back of the truck.

But the other part of me believes (strongly) that it's better to fly under the radar. Last time I was pulled over and was waiting for the truck to shut down, the officer asked me to turn the truck off. Well, it was. But it was going through the purge and idle cycle. I told the officer the truck had a turbo timer on it and the truck would idle for another 1-2 minutes before it would shut down. I didn't feel like opening Pandora's box.

60k on veggie oil and counting
Old 04-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Burning Grease Since 2008

Miles on Grease: 160,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: Enough to make me :)
MacGyver Rating: 6

For 2.85 a gallon I have some extra oil that i haven't filtered yet. Heck, a tote of oil would be $793. For that I will give them the oil tote and all.
BTS Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing,Snow water/meth injection.Riffraff Engine Rebuild(kit) @315k .30 over pistons, CNC Fab HPOP, 406injectors.com 160cc single shots.

2002 F350 2WD CCLB 7.3 Bone Stock "Rusty"
Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 6000
$ Estimated Saved: -$15000
MacGyver Rating: 3
Default latest prices

What are the latest prices everyone is paying for oil? I had been collecting for free until recently when the local collectors came by and offered my sources $1/gal!! I had thought the going rate around here was $0.15/gal so my sources didn't care about that small amount of money. I still can't believe they are really paying that much in my area. Maybe if I was in a big city or in CA where there are a lot of people making biodiesel, but not here where I'm 4 hours from a major city.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Burning Grease Since 2008

Miles on Grease: 160,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: Enough to make me :)
MacGyver Rating: 6

Feeling the pain. How quickly things change. I am struggling to source enough oil to keep things going. I need to find sources in my area and it looks like I will have to start paying to get new sources.
BTS Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing,Snow water/meth injection.Riffraff Engine Rebuild(kit) @315k .30 over pistons, CNC Fab HPOP, 406injectors.com 160cc single shots.

2002 F350 2WD CCLB 7.3 Bone Stock "Rusty"