BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 09-23-2014, 04:01 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default Help- When I turn on the truck wvo wants to start right off

Help Anybody,
My 2001 7.3 v3 system is acting up. When I start the truck, and with the veggie rocker switch in the middle off position, the veggie light comes on and veggie is flowing to the engine. I quickly unplugged the raptor pump to stop the flow of veggie to keep it barely running, then drove it to try to clean out the injected cold veggie, but the light stayed on for 5 miles then started blinking for 5 miles then finally went off completely. This is not an isolated situation- it repeatedly has happened.
Anybody know what I should do?
Any help Please please please.
Tony-Missouri
Old 09-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 8500
$ Estimated Saved: 1165 and counting

I'd start by checking the temp switch? And the pressure switch? Not sure about the blinking but it sounds to me like one is stuck closed and causing the system to default on?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Thank You,
That gives me a place to start. Thank you so much for your ideas. I have saved so much money with this system I don't mind throwing some money at it.
I am FAR from a mechanic, and there is nobody in the Northwest Missouri area who is familiar with vegistroke. If I hear one more time from every mechanic in Missouri that every little thing that happens to that truck is because I run vegetable in it, I'm going to go postal.
Anybody out there close to St. Joseph/Kansas City Missouri who knows these systems? Willing to buy your services.
Thank You,
Tony Haist
Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohaist View Post
Help Anybody,
My 2001 7.3 v3 system is acting up. When I start the truck, and with the veggie rocker switch in the middle off position, the veggie light comes on and veggie is flowing to the engine. I quickly unplugged the raptor pump to stop the flow of veggie to keep it barely running, then drove it to try to clean out the injected cold veggie, but the light stayed on for 5 miles then started blinking for 5 miles then finally went off completely. This is not an isolated situation- it repeatedly has happened.
Anybody know what I should do?
Any help Please please please.
Tony-Missouri
The fact that it was turned off is puzzling. Sounds like a failed pressure switch more than anything but with it turned off, I dont know what to make to make of it for sure. How old is the system? Miles of use? Temp switches do fail as I have had one or 2 fail in 10 years but thats not as common as a PS. Unplug the PS and see if situation changes. The PS is the larger component on the V3 with the big black screw on cap. Its on the lower side of the v3 side.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Clay caught the first clue. Now you said with switch in middle position???? That is weird!!!

Veg pump relay has power on one side all the time on the old V3 board. A stuck relay can power Veg pump all the time (typing out loud here). But light on Veg switch in the middle position sounds like switch problem. Do you feel distinct clicks between off, auto and manual??? IF there was a switch problem it may be in manual when if is in the middle position. (again thinking out loud).

Sounds like more than one problem. I would start with switch inspection.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default fixed!!!

I had a spare vegistroke system sitting on a bench. I pulled the PS and switched it out, and wa-laa -- works perfectly. I don't understand how she was veging up with the switch in the middle position, but the new pressure switch fixed all problems. Runs perfectly.
Thank You all so much, this is a wonderful site- with great people.
I have two more vegistroke v3 systems coming online soon in my household, so I'll keep reading and learning more
Thanks Again,
Tony Haist
7.3 vegistroke v3
1.9 jetta greasecar
7.3 93 e350 idi homemade veg system
7.3 2001 excursion homemade system
soon to be vegistroke
A. 2003 e-350 flatbed 7.3 500 gallon super sucker
B. 1999 f-250
House heated with veggi through a boiler and INOV8 burner.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM

I still dont understand how it was getting power in the OFF position because of the PS. I was truely shooting from the hip when I said PS. That will give me something to ponder...as if I dont have anything else going on in my head 24/7. lol
Old 09-23-2014, 09:31 PM
BFT Dealer

Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8

Clay and remember that the Pressure switch has nothing to do with the veggie pump getting power. Just D2 pump or light on switch. So me thinks we do not have the full story on this one....
Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 AM
VegiRammer

Miles on Grease: 100,000
MacGyver Rating: 7

I Have found that changing the PS usually fixes anything.
Greasin' since 2007
Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
So me thinks we do not have the full story on this one....
yeah...