BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 99-03 7.3

Old 04-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 50K
MacGyver Rating: 5
Default Adding a Fuel pump to V3

I'm still having trouble with my V3 not pumping fuel. I'm wondering if junk from my tank is getting into the pre filter to quickly and stoping things up. I plan to put a pre-filter like a Goldenrod filter and I thought of adding an OEM fuel pump prior to the manifold as well.

Does anyone see any problems that could arise from adding a fuel pump? I will wire it in parallel with the V3 pump so it only comes on when power is to the V3.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

That sounds like using a hemorrhoid suppository for a sore throat.
Address the prescreen. You haven't said anything that makes me think you have a pump issue and if you do, address that.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:49 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

1) Are you getting 12vdc to the pump? KOEO 2) Is pump running 3) prescreen clean and new fuel filter installed? Fuel pressure? Bucket test?

Do you have a timer card brain or the new one?

Many things that it could be. I always check the obvious first. Fuse, wiring, and the above.

I was also thinking of doing the additional fuel pump. I was told by both SkySki and AzDave that it wouldn't work.

The only option was to remove the pump, block off the pump location with a plate and add the new pump before the v3.

http://www.wvodesigns.com/vegistroke...ment-pump.html has a pump that has a 5yr warranty and includes the block off plate for the v3. That would be your best option. 527.00 + shipping is steep, but buying two pumps is a bit more expensive in the long run.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:02 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

You can delete the V3 pump and add an internally regulated pump before the V3, but no you cannot 'add' an unregulated pump before the V3 because there is no way to control fuel pressure.

I like to use the Racor PS120 as a pre-filter. It is a great replacement for the I'll-designed V3/V4 pre-filter. The Racor can tolerate 100x the debris the V3 prefilter can handle and is a good upgrade for people with poly problems in the VO tank.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:15 AM
SubZero 7.3

Miles on Grease: 50000+
$ Estimated Saved: 14000
MacGyver Rating: 8

I always bring a spare scorpion even one that only builds 25 psi with me on trips. For emergency.

Last edited by Wyn-Wyn; 05-01-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:22 AM
Newbie Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 50K
MacGyver Rating: 5
Default About to install a pre filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Diesel View Post
1) Are you getting 12vdc to the pump? KOEO 2) Is pump running 3) prescreen clean and new fuel filter installed? Fuel pressure? Bucket test?

Do you have a timer card brain or the new one?

Many things that it could be. I always check the obvious first. Fuse, wiring, and the above.

I was also thinking of doing the additional fuel pump. I was told by both SkySki and AzDave that it wouldn't work.

The only option was to remove the pump, block off the pump location with a plate and add the new pump before the v3.

http://www.wvodesigns.com/vegistroke...ment-pump.html has a pump that has a 5yr warranty and includes the block off plate for the v3. That would be your best option. 527.00 + shipping is steep, but buying two pumps is a bit more expensive in the long run.
I am getting 12v to the Pump. Pump is running, and I have a new filter. I have run pressure tests and always get 0 psi. I have a timer card.

I have done much troubleshooting. I just did a test by putting the fuel lines from the manifold into a container of Veggie oil. I turned the pump on manual and got fuel flow. The lines I was using were 1/4" ID. Even though I got flow, it didn't seem very strong.

How strong should the flow be?

I'm going to start by installing a better pre filter and go from there. One thing continues to bother me though. I took my manifold off and soaked in in gas. I then scrubbed every port. Is there some area of of the manifold I'm not getting to, that is not accessible from one of the many holes? I"m thinking of hooking a vacuum up to one end and putting a string in the other and see if I can get the string all the way through. Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Check for a clog between the tank and your v3. check your vent in the tank also. I doubt this is a clog within the manifold if your bucket test works. Flow isnt super high volume but you shouldnt be able too put your thumb over the line and stop the flow.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:03 PM
F350 & Excursion Greaser

Miles on Grease: Plead the 5th
$ Estimated Saved: Plead the 5th
MacGyver Rating: .01

What he said. ^^^