BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > EMERGENCY FORUM

Old 11-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 7

Quick question all-If you were to add on of these magnetic reed disablers would this prevent the BFT SSB from doing the key out purge cycle? Would you need to manually purge the system before shutdown? That in itself wouldn't be a problem but I was more curious than anything else.

Rob
Old 11-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Unapologetically American

Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmakerRob View Post
Quick question all-If you were to add on of these magnetic reed disablers would this prevent the BFT SSB from doing the key out purge cycle? Would you need to manually purge the system before shutdown? That in itself wouldn't be a problem but I was more curious than anything else.

Rob
On my king ranch, everything worked fine with this reed switch.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Senior Vegistroker

MacGyver Rating: 7

Thanks Clay. I wasn't sure what the answer would be and would hate to go and install something like this and not be able to auto purge.

Rob
Old 11-22-2014, 06:12 AM

I need to get jason crawford in here to comment on the details of this.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmakerRob View Post

Rob
Depending on what circuit you interrupt, you may need to wait until after auto purge is finished to arm this system - but I think we could design a way around that if we give it some thought.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 PM

You dont "arm" a reed switch. It takes a magnetic swipe to close it so you can start the truck, it somehow stays closed I guess until you kill the truck then to start it again, you have to swipe the magnet again. Not sure exactly how these work cause I didnt have to hold the magnet on it while /i keyed on the truck, just a swipe and the dash came alive and now I could start the truck.
But there was nothing to arm it other than kill the truck and it wont restart.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Senior Vegistroker

The magnetic reed switch closes a relay which provides power to the IDM and also keeps the reed closed. When the power to the relay is switched off it kills the engine and allows the relay and the reed to open.
The after run works the same way, the SSB relay provides power to the yellow wire until the timer disconnects he power to the relay, shutting off power to the yellow wire and allowing the engine to stop.
The question of whether you would need to wait for the purge before arming the kill function is a good one.
It would seem arming the kill function would shut down the IDM, killing the engine immediately.

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Thanks Darrell.

It's not magic, just a little switch that is activated by a magnet. You can do all kinds of cool stuff with them! In this discussion, we are using it to enable or 'arm' a no-start device....

Another consideration is how insurance pays out. Some policies may not cover 'vandalism' caused by an attempted theft, but will pay for theft/recovery damage. I have seen where some will disable fuel pump or other methods of killing the truck near the theft point. This is a good argument for the tracking devices.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Jason,
Agreed it isn't magic.
As I understand what Doc did, the "normal" status is the IDM is disabled. What his method does is enable the IDM with a reed switch and relay. When the key is turned off the circuit for the IDM is broken and an indicator light is triggered.
The question is, will the run-on function of the BFT system keep the engine running to complete the purge if the IDM is disabled via Doc's method.
My guess is no but it is just a guess at this point.

2001 CC 4X4
I'm veggin!

Tags
stolen, theft, van, vegistroke