BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > EMERGENCY FORUM

Old 11-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Default Fuel Line Leak

Well, I was backing out of my driveway this morning in the dark, and there was a puddle and line of liquid from under the truck. It was diesel. I pulled the truck into the shop (after moving the tractor, and making some space to work) and found the leak pretty quick. The WVO rubber fuel line between the "T" and the passenger side front fuel port was bubbled and leaking fuel.

I'm wondering if my local Napa can make that hose up for me or if I need to order one? Anyone else had his issue before?
Old 11-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Update: I got into Napa, and had them build up a new hose to replace the line that goes from the "T" to the front passenger fuel port. I replaced that, and don't see any leaks there. However, I am still leaking diesel. Any one know of other common trouble spots for leaking diesel? It looks like it may be coming from one of the rear lines, but I can't seem to locate it.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Senior Vegistroker

Miles on Grease: 130
MacGyver Rating: 7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by npstone View Post
Update: I got into Napa, and had them build up a new hose to replace the line that goes from the "T" to the front passenger fuel port. I replaced that, and don't see any leaks there. However, I am still leaking diesel. Any one know of other common trouble spots for leaking diesel? It looks like it may be coming from one of the rear lines, but I can't seem to locate it.
Mine was leaking (on vacation hundreds of miles from home on a saturday of course) from the hose that was the supply line from the V3. I found a napa open and a kind gentleman took me to have the hose made. I had it made out of a single wire hydraulic hose. The heat from the exhaust had caused the line to bubble. It was spraying diesel directly on the down pipe in a fine mist. Thank God i smelled it and stopped to check it before ignition took place.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Update #2: located another leak on the back fuel port on the drivers side. Again, the Parker fuel line was bubbled and leaking. Just got back from Napa, where they made me a new line, and I'll get installed and look for leaks. Boss is screaming at me over text to get into work, so I'm hoping this will do it.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Newbie Vegistroker

Update #3. Installed a new fuel line from the back driver fuel port to the "T". No leaks, heading to work, hope it stays that way. Might have to consider the SS fuel line upgrade soon.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Gettin Greasy

Miles on Grease: 330,000
$ Estimated Saved: at least a little
MacGyver Rating: 1.5

Many of these 'temporary' rubber lines are getting to the end of their lifespan.

I have installed LOTS of the ptfe-lined SS braided hoses like www.veggiegarage.com sells and the only failure I'm aware of was a poorly crimped hose that leaked shortly after install. These hoses are rated for something like 1400psi at 600*F and will likely outlast every vehicle they are on. The VG Complete Engine Fittings Kit also relocates the diesel-side check valves and uses much larger/more robust CV's that are less likely to fail (none have failed yet!! ).

This is a 'maintenance upgrade' that is WELL WORTH the investment. Especially with winter coming on. Nobody wants to break down OR have to work on their truck when its miserable outside.

With these upgraded hoses, I also recommend keeping a JIC cap and plug in the glovebox. This allows you to easily isolate the veggie system from the engine if you have an issue like stuck V3/V4 check valve or purge valve - so you can at least drive home on diesel!

Here's the latest set of VG hoses I installed. This is the new D2 fuel lines. You can barely see the big CV's right at the filter in this pic.

The kit uses SS hard lines on the fittings on the back of the heads. This will be THE LAST TIME you ever mess with the infamous PITA fitting!!

This is where the VO line crosses from the tee to the V3/V4 over to the drivers-side head.

Not worrying about hose failures/break downs? Priceless.

RIP X & Toyhauler - you served us well.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Burning Grease Since 2008

Miles on Grease: 160,000 +
$ Estimated Saved: Enough to make me :)
MacGyver Rating: 6

I made the mistake of only changing the line that leaked a couple years ago. It was the v3 to the t line. I had a local tractor supply build me a hydraulic line that was much beefier than the oem v3 line. unfortunately I sprung another leak a week later on a 20 hr drive to see Brian (BTS) in Arkansas. I had the hose in my tool box and was able to do emergency surgery in the dark by flashlight to the rear line on the driver side. You can probably guess how hot things were 10 hrs of driving into a 20 hr trip.

If you get 5-6 years out of your original rubber lines consider yourself living on borrowed time and change to ss in the comfort of your own garage.

SS braided lines all the way now.
BTS Transmission W/ 1.0 exhaust housing,Snow water/meth injection.Riffraff Engine Rebuild(kit) @315k .30 over pistons, CNC Fab HPOP, 406injectors.com 160cc single shots.

2002 F350 2WD CCLB 7.3 Bone Stock "Rusty"