BioFuels Technologies Forum  

Go Back   BioFuels Technologies Forum > FORD SUPER DUTY / HEAVY DUTY DIESEL > 03-07 6.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
AzDave AzDave is offline
BFT Dealer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mayer, Arizona
Miles on Grease: 50,000
$ Estimated Saved: Over$10,000
MacGyver Rating: .8
Posts: 1,580
Default

Random purge valve operation and lack of operation when it needs to. I've noticed sometimes when driving down the road my fuel pressure drops to 25-26psi completely randomly It lasts for 8 or 9 seconds like a normal purge should, except the system switch is in the "auto" position. I would never notice this without a fuel pressure gauge as the truck still runs completely normal. Now the kicker, when I shut the truck off with the switch in "auto" after I've been driving on WVO, the motor stays running, but the first 8-9 seconds it stays on full WVO pressure around 85psi, then after the 8-9 seconds I hear a click on the timer card under the dash and it drops to 55-65psi so it's running on diesel. It never actually purges. Just runs on WVO, then switches to #2 with no purge. The manual purge button works just fine though (I'm guessing these are separate functions, just haven't looked over the wiring yet).

OK I'll try to tackle this one...1st..yes the manual purge is separate from the timer cards. The manual purge switch supplies both power and ground to the purge valve.

On auto purge the purge valve gets it's power from the NO terminal on the purge board..a orange wire. When the switch is on auto it sends power to the C terminal on the purge board. When the auto purge initiates at closes the C terminal and the NC terminal until the timer stops. Now here is what starts that timer...The loss of power to the TRG terminal. The TRG terminal gets its power from the Temp switch closing.

So when we shut the truck off we lose the 12 volt source to the Auto Switch that supplies power to the Temp switch and the purge starts for the 7 seconds or so.

If you see the purge lite go on and you have no fuel pressure drop you probably have a lose connection at one or more of the purge card terminals and or dirt and water in the 6 pin connector in the main harness under the truck.

Use a test light on the NO term when purge light is on AND the switch is in the auto mode and check for power. That is power to the purge valve. The test light should go out when the purge light goes out.

I know you will have to read this a few times to get it. Print it out to look at while you test.

Dave
__________________
95 Dodge Ram. Running on Recycled Vegetable Oil since 5-07. Sold.. 96 Ford F250 System in progress. 2-16 Sold 2001 F350 System in progress.Sold www.Veggiegarage.com Owner www.AzFuels.com.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Mdub707's Avatar
Mdub707 Mdub707 is offline
Me MacGyver!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Amsterdam NY
Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Posts: 2,473
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707
Default

Thanks Dave, this was the kind of answer I was hoping for. Appreciate it. I will print this out for sure, and as long as it's not blizzard like conditions out when I get home (more than likely will be) then I will test it out. If not, I'll be in the garage assembling filtration unit.

I will ship those pieces out to you tomorrow as well.

Again, thanks a ton.
__________________
2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 SC/SB Greasin since 08/18/2010
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 AM
muns53's Avatar
muns53 muns53 is offline
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Highland, NY
Miles on Grease: 157000
MacGyver Rating: 5
Posts: 1,269
Send a message via AIM to muns53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
I like ideas...
Here's an ider... git yersef 'nuther truck...
__________________
'02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~242Kmi total; ~157Kmi on WVO
Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator; F650 dash; etc.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Mdub707's Avatar
Mdub707 Mdub707 is offline
Me MacGyver!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Amsterdam NY
Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Posts: 2,473
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns53 View Post
Here's an ider... git yersef 'nuther truck...
You find me a daily driver that has over 400rwhp, on a stock trans, that I can burn WVO in, and I'm game.
__________________
2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 SC/SB Greasin since 08/18/2010
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Clay Clay is offline
Unapologetically American
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
You find me a daily driver that has over 400rwhp, on a stock trans, that I can burn WVO in, and I'm game.
Could I interest you in a dually that is already vegistroked that works right?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
YoungMT Hick's Avatar
YoungMT Hick YoungMT Hick is offline
Military Vegistroker
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho Falls, WA
Miles on Grease: 65339
$ Estimated Saved: 9999
MacGyver Rating: 7.0
Posts: 579
Default

Well I have an escape hyrbid I can trade you. Probably gets the same MPG, has a stock trans and works right. Oh Ya and a whopping 97HP So sounds like a fair trade.

Ya Mike stop by sometime and we will swap things out. I need to test the pressure switch and see whats happening with my truck. Hope you get your truck running like it should.
__________________
2006 F350 6.0 Vegistroke 8" 4-link Rough Country Lift, SS-M16 37/13.50/20 XD Monster 20x10, 200cc sticks, PMAX, Studs, AD2, EV2 FP Gage, SCT, FICM Tune
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Mdub707's Avatar
Mdub707 Mdub707 is offline
Me MacGyver!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Amsterdam NY
Miles on Grease: 12,000
$ Estimated Saved: $2500
MacGyver Rating: 6.5
Posts: 2,473
Send a message via AIM to Mdub707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Could I interest you in a dually that is already vegistroked that works right?
How long do you think it would take me driving that around to make it "not work right?"

The answer: Not long.


Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMT Hick View Post
Well I have an escape hyrbid I can trade you. Probably gets the same MPG, has a stock trans and works right. Oh Ya and a whopping 97HP So sounds like a fair trade.

Ya Mike stop by sometime and we will swap things out. I need to test the pressure switch and see whats happening with my truck. Hope you get your truck running like it should.

Definitely man. Maybe I'll just hold on to that pressure switch for now and not send it to Dave today, so you can test it this weekend. Then just send it out next week to verify operation of it. I'm pretty confident it's still good.
__________________
2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 SC/SB Greasin since 08/18/2010
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Clay Clay is offline
Unapologetically American
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Miles on Grease: 250,000
$ Estimated Saved: $50,000
MacGyver Rating: 9
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdub707 View Post
How long do you think it would take me driving that around to make it "not work right?"

The answer: Not long
why do you say that?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
lancaster,pa lancaster,pa is offline
Gettin Greasy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lancaster,PA
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
Random purge valve operation and lack of operation when it needs to. I've noticed sometimes when driving down the road my fuel pressure drops to 25-26psi completely randomly It lasts for 8 or 9 seconds like a normal purge should, except the system switch is in the "auto" position. I would never notice this without a fuel pressure gauge as the truck still runs completely normal. Now the kicker, when I shut the truck off with the switch in "auto" after I've been driving on WVO, the motor stays running, but the first 8-9 seconds it stays on full WVO pressure around 85psi, then after the 8-9 seconds I hear a click on the timer card under the dash and it drops to 55-65psi so it's running on diesel. It never actually purges. Just runs on WVO, then switches to #2 with no purge. The manual purge button works just fine though (I'm guessing these are separate functions, just haven't looked over the wiring yet).

OK I'll try to tackle this one...1st..yes the manual purge is separate from the timer cards. The manual purge switch supplies both power and ground to the purge valve.

On auto purge the purge valve gets it's power from the NO terminal on the purge board..a orange wire. When the switch is on auto it sends power to the C terminal on the purge board. When the auto purge initiates at closes the C terminal and the NC terminal until the timer stops. Now here is what starts that timer...The loss of power to the TRG terminal. The TRG terminal gets its power from the Temp switch closing.

So when we shut the truck off we lose the 12 volt source to the Auto Switch that supplies power to the Temp switch and the purge starts for the 7 seconds or so.

If you see the purge lite go on and you have no fuel pressure drop you probably have a lose connection at one or more of the purge card terminals and or dirt and water in the 6 pin connector in the main harness under the truck.

Use a test light on the NO term when purge light is on AND the switch is in the auto mode and check for power. That is power to the purge valve. The test light should go out when the purge light goes out.

I know you will have to read this a few times to get it. Print it out to look at while you test.

Dave

Dave - You are really doing a bang up job in working with the electrical side of these cards. Any chance you can get this stuff locked into a permanent spot on the forum somewhere (possibly TSB) for everyone to be able to reference in the future without having to search? - Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Snake Snake is offline
Gettin Greasy
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flo Rida
Miles on Grease: 60,000
$ Estimated Saved: $12,000?
MacGyver Rating: 3.14159265
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
why do you say that?
Cause his job is to make oil and break things.

Or another way of saying it, it seems that he has an uncanny ability to turn everything he touches into crap.
__________________
2005 F-250 Harley Davidson Edition with a few mods

60k on veggie oil and counting
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.