BioFuels Technologies Forum

BioFuels Technologies Forum (http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Powerstroke SVO Tech / How to Articles (http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Oil bypass filtration with CF, CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!! (http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661)

jvbarrac 10-12-2010 05:56 PM

Oil bypass filtration with CF, CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!

I have recently made the move from FL to CO and just before I moved, I wanted to install an oil bypass filtration kit to avoid bad injectors and constant oil changes. I looked into the Amsoil fs-2500 ($600) and the Dieselcraft ($600) and finally decided that it was a simple thing to make and decided to construct one myself. At a cost of $170-$200 I constructed a bypass centrifuge setup for my 2006 F250 that seems to be foolproof. I have put about 4000 miles on it since the install with absolutely no problems. If anyone is interested I will be happy to post plans and answer questions. I have yet to send in oil samples to a lab but I don't think thats needed yet anyways.

Clay 10-12-2010 06:03 PM

Pics or it didn't happen... :D

Mdub707 10-12-2010 06:29 PM

Yeah pics would be cool! Sure would like to see an oil analysis. You're almost at 5k, I wouldn't go more than that with any oil in a 6.0 anyways. (maybe a little longer with an oil bypass).

Clay 10-12-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdub707 (Post 19317)
Yeah pics would be cool! Sure would like to see an oil analysis. You're almost at 5k, I wouldn't go more than that with any oil in a 6.0 anyways. (maybe a little longer with an oil bypass).

oh geezzz. not another oil debate....

jvbarrac 10-12-2010 09:53 PM

I'll try to post photos in the next day or so. I'm running Rotella full synthetic, John from Dieselcraft told me that CF's tend to work really well with synthetic. He was suggesting that I should get between 15,000 and 40,000 miles between changes. I have no idea what to think of this. Either way, how do I get my oil tested and how much will it cost?

Clay 10-12-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbarrac (Post 19336)
I'll try to post photos in the next day or so. I'm running Rotella full synthetic, John from Dieselcraft told me that CF's tend to work really well with synthetic. He was suggesting that I should get between 15,000 and 40,000 miles between changes. I have no idea what to think of this. Either way, how do I get my oil tested and how much will it cost?

:yikes: 40 k miles?!
Just be sure u do blackstone oil test often and watch the TBN numbers. Tell the tester what your doing. Acid buildup in the oil is what will kill the oil and the TBN numbers are what will show this.

jvbarrac 10-13-2010 01:50 AM

Clay,
Now that I'm in Boulder (Hippiville) I was thinking about approaching the university (CU Boulder) and trying to find someone interested in performing emission tests on my truck and hopefully oil analysis as well. Since the people out here are geared towards sustainable energy I would imagine someone might be interested. Anyways, if they have the capacity to test the oil what are the parameters of interest? TBN (don't know what that stands for), maybe pH, water content, Total suspended solids?

Clay 10-13-2010 02:31 AM

TBN, TAN and fuel content. The particulates of lead and iron, ect should be filtered out.
If they are worth their salt, they will know what to test for.

jvbarrac 10-14-2010 10:24 PM

Finally got some photos of the deal. The CF is an "OC-20" from pabiodiesel which is fed via a hydraulic line from northern rated to 3000 psi @ some unknown temp. (wish I knew just for assurance) Working upstream from CF, there is a tee where I have installed a cheap oil pressure gauge from Discount as well as maintaining the oil pressure switch for the stock gauge. The oil is pulled from the orifice where the oil switch used to be. Finding the right threads for this little opening was the most difficult aspect of this project. http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad14/jvbarrac/

Tampa450 10-27-2010 03:13 PM

I saw the one on the dieselcraft website, but it looked pretty cheezy the way it conected to the oil fill hole (IMO) They also had a small airpump to help with something.....I didnt look that close.

The truck makes enough oil pressure to get that OC20 up to speed?
What about when you shut off the truck? Doesnt some of the stuff the CF has filtered fall out of the bowl back into your oil?